The kitchen is the heart of the home, especially at Thanksgiving. Children love to be involved in holiday preparations, too making safety in the kitchen even more important.
On Thanksgiving Day, when there is a lot of activity and people in the home, the Alabama State Fire Marshal’s Office and the National Fire Protection Association ask you to keep in mind the following reminders:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey in the oven, as well, and check on it frequently.
- Keep small children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay three feet away.
- Make sure children stay away from hot foods and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over toys, pocketbooks or bags.
- Keep knives out of th