Troy murder suspect extradited from California | News
TROY, AL (WSFA)- The suspect in an October homicide in Troy is back in Alabama to face charges nearly a month after being captured at a bus stop thousands of miles away in California.
Suroy Manquel Wheeler, wearing dark-colored clothing and restrained with ankle, waist and wrist-cuffs, was escorted into the Troy Police Department Tuesday afternoon.
Wheeler is accused of murdering 29-year-old Melissa Shipman at the Troy Villa Apartments on Henderson Street on October 27.
Wheeler waived extradition from California in early November and was expected back in Alabama within two weeks.
It was not immediately known if Wheeler had an attorney.
Wheeler was formally charged with murder. He was transferred to the Pike County Jail and his bond is $100,000.00 in this case.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top Troy Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- Luverne man leads authorities on a 20 mile, 142 mph chase
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rate for Crenshaw County Schools
- Man wanted in Montgomery's 26th homicide turns self in to Luverne Police
- Craft Day is today at Luverne Public Library
- Crenshaw County author to hold book signing in Montgomery